Monday, January 23, 2012

BB Creams!!!

Over the last month and a half, I've been writing about different makeup looks and products and I realize I've mentioned and shown you photos of the BB cream I use as a foundation substitute but I've never really explained or talked about BB creams in much detail.  Some of you may be wondering what a BB cream is, so here's a little product knowledge for you.  

You have probably seen ads for BB creams in magazines, television and on posters wherever you live.  In North America and Europe it has just recently gained popularity but in Asia it has been a big hit for quite some time.

BB cream was developed by Korean plastic surgeons to help treat post laser surgery patients while concealing their healing scars.  I've recently read that the original formula was actually created in Germany.  Anyway, no matter where it was produced originally, the results were amazing and mild enough on the skin, it eventually made it to the commercial market by way of various cosmetic companies in Korea.

Having many benefits in one product, it promises to even out skin tone (whiten), provide SPF coverage, moisturize, prevent and treat aging skin and wrinkles and provide the same coverage as a medium to full coverage foundation without feeling heavy.

Many western companies are starting to join the trend and produce their own BB cream.  You'll find BB creams from MAC, Garnier, Clinique, Chanel etc.  However, a very wide range of Korean cosmetics companies are also still producing BB creams too.  Now, I don't know about you, but I prefer to buy products from companies that produced them and caused the hype rather than companies that decided to hop on the band wagon to take advantage of the trend and make some money.

BB creams are great but do your research if you have oily or sensitive skin.  Some brands have been known to cause breakouts on those with sensitive skin and some have been known to be oilier and may not be suitable for consumers with oily skin.

BB creams are also usually produced in lighter shades and don't come in a variety of colours like foundation does.  They are much more suitable for pale skinned girls.  Think Japanese/Korean celebrities who have been setting the pale skin trend in Asia.  However, lucky for you bronzed beauties out there I've discovered from reading other blogs that Missha, a Korean company, actually produces BB cream for tanned skin people.  It's part of their Perfect M line in number 31 (you can purchase it online if Missha isn't available in your country).  If you still find the shade a little light, mix it with a darker foundation like I do.

I really do recommend BB creams because it is so much better for your skin overall.  I love the coverage and the finish.  Sometimes, if I am too lazy to remove my makeup before going to bed, I don't feel so guilty if I'm wearing BB cream.  It's like a tinted moisturizer but with more benefits and more coverage. 

2 comments:

  1. I have to chime in here too. As a mom of 5 month old twins, I have very little time to spend on makeup each day. But my Garnier BB cream has become a lifesaver! It helps to provide coverage over some of the dark circles and just makes me feel and look a bit more refreshed. I just treat it like a moisturizer and it really gives me a nice healthy glow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!! Yeah, they are really convenient!! I've heard the Garnier ones are great too actually.

    ReplyDelete