Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What About Mascara???

When it comes to mascara, the vast range available is quite remarkable.  There's waterproof, curling, volumizing, lengthening, conditioning, vibrating...you name it, it's out there.  Like me, you've probably tried all kinds of mascaras and from many different brands.  You've probably questioned whether most of these really did the job as well.  And one of the most common questions is whether a truly "clump-less" mascara exists. 

Curling mascara:
In my experience, as someone with pretty straight Asian eyelashes, curling mascaras don't really work on their own.  You're better off using an eyelash curler with a volumizing or lengthening mascara.

Volumizing mascaras:
This is the type of mascara I use.  I find that a good volumizing mascara really does do the trick.  My favourites have been Dior Show Black Out, L'Oreal Paris Extra Volume Collagen, Majorlica Majorca Lash Enamel Glamour and Maybeline Volume Express Cat Eyes.

Lengthening mascaras:
I've tried several lengthening mascaras in the past but prefer volumizing ones as my eyelashes are fairly long already. The problem I have is that they are not very thick.  I find it looks a little funny to have several "strands" of eyelash hairs fanning out from my eyes.  However, the lengthening mascaras that I felt worked well were L'Oreal Double Extension Ultra Lengthening and Maybeline Sky High Curves.

My all time favourites:
Mascaras come with different types of applicators.  Most of you are familiar with brush applicators in various sizes. 


Now there are applicators that look like little rubber combs. My Majorlica Majorca and Maybeline Volume Express mascaras have these applicators.  I prefer them as I find the product does not clump on the brush and therefore does not clump on my eyelashes. 



Important tips:
1) If your mascara does clump on your lashes, remove the clumps with an eyebrow grooming brush.  It looks just like a mascara applicator.  Comb it through your eyelashes from above, rolling the brush at the same time.  The mascara clumps will get caught in the bristles and get brushed out!!!



2) I've bought expensive, department store brand mascaras as well as pharmacy brands such as L'Oreal and Maybeline.  I find the pharmacy brands work just as well if not better.  I've never been a fan of Clinique or MAC mascaras.  My advice is save yourselves some money!  L'Oreal, Maybeline and Rimmel all have some great mascaras that do what they promise. 

3) If you're struggling to find a mascara that curls, lengthens and volumizes all in one, why not use 3 different mascaras?  I have a friend who layers her favourite lengthening mascara with her favourite volumizing mascara.  It works wonders! 

4) Finally, ALWAYS CURL YOUR EYELASHES!!!  It will open up your eyes and make them look bigger and brighter.  Shu Uemura has an amazing eyelash curler designed for Asian eyes.  It is shaped to catch every lash from corner to corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment