Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Illamasqua Liquid Metal Product Review!

Before Christmas, I purchased some products from an amazing UK cosmetics company called Illamasqua.  For those of you unfamiliar with them, they have amazing quality makeup, similar to MAC.  However, their brand image is a little more whimsical and artsy, preferring the dramatic and theatrical, as well as incredibly creative runway looks. 

The products I bought were 6 out 7 colours of liquid metal eyeshadow.

http://www.illamasqua.com/shop/catalogue/category/eyes/products/liquid-meta/38/

This was the product I used for my Venetian mask look.  As you have seen, the colour is very metallic and shiny.  The texture is not as creamy as I thought it would be for a cream eyeshadow but rather slick and oily.  What I love about it is that the colour builds beautifully when applied using a dabbing motion. It can be subtle or intense.

However, I used it on Christmas day with my MAC Prep and Prime as my eyeshadow base, the darker silver as my all over base colour and the gold on the corners of my eyes.  It was an extremely natural look with a pretty metallic sheen but it did not stay put for even an hour...even with a primer.

I also tried to use a natural powder eyeshadow first and applied the liquid metal over it.  The product held on a bit better but not as well as powder eyeshadow alone does.

I later used a powder eyeshadow all over my eyelids and the liquid metal over it, but only on the outer corners of my eyes and a little above the creases of my eyelids.  I feel like this is the best combination.  The liquid metal held on as it did not get pushed around when I blinked, and I loved the pretty metallic sheen it gave my eyes.



In my opinion, unless you are older and have dryer skin around your eyes, powder eyeshadow is really the way to go.  Cream shadows look great for theatrical looks, but they are not very practical for everyday use unless you are using just a little bit of it combined with a powder eyeshadow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment