Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Makeup Brushes! Which Ones to Use?

By now, many of you have probably gone to a makeup store, seen the variety of makeup brushes and wondered what's the purpose of each brush.  You've probably wondered if all the brushes serve a specific purpose or if they are just there to increase sales.

Makeup application is an art in which the face is a canvas.  That's why its called makeup artistry.  Like other types of art, the tools are important to the artist.  Some brushes facilitate in drawing fine lines with more precision, some help to blend out colours and other brushes aid in the application of the colours. 

These are the brushes I typically use in one makeup application. 

FACE: 

MAC Duo Fibre Brush    Powder Brush   Blush Brush   Highlight/Contour Brush

EYES: 

1           2           3           4          5           6           7

1: For applying my cream eyeshadow (MAC Paintpot) that I usually use after Prep and Prime and before powder eyeshadow to make the colours last all day.

2: For applying the all over base colour.

3: For applying eyeshadow on the outer corners of my eyes.  I use this for the outer corners as it is a smaller, flatter brush that gives me more precision in my application of eyeshadow.

4: For applying highlighter (lightest colour) to my brow bone.

5: For applying highlighter to the inner corners of my eyes. 

6: For blending and softening the harsh edges.

7: For applying eyeliner that comes in a pot such as MAC Fluidliner.

Note:  I don't usually use a brush for my lips but if I was applying makeup on a client I would use a lip brush

Now you're probably wondering if you need all these brushes to complete your look.  I personally find that using different brushes for different types of application really does help to achieve a more professional finish.  However, if you're just beginning to use makeup and you don't want to start investing a lot of money on your brushes, here's what you can do. 

Makeup brushes can be very expensive if bought from stores like MAC, Illamasqua, Bobbi Brown or Benefit Cosmetics to name a few.  However, these brushes are of superior quality and much better for your skin.  Instead of buying a large variety of cheap brushes, go for a few good quality brushes that can be used in many ways.

FACE:
My favourite brush is my MAC Duo Fibre Brush (in the first picture above).  It is quite expensive but it is an amazing brush that picks up both cream and powder products.  It creates a beautiful airbrushed look when used to apply foundation.  If you're not used to foundation and feel that it looks a little heavy no matter what type you've used, invest in this brush!  It really does make a difference.  You can also use this brush to apply your loose powder.

Invest in a blush brush as well.  You can use this to apply your blush and your contour powder on the hollows of your cheeks. 

EYES:
I suggest getting the following 3 types of brushes for your eyeshadow application.

1              2          3

1: Larger, flat eyeshadow brush to apply your all over base colour and highlighter on your brow bone
2: Smaller, flat brush for the outer corners
3: Blending brush (the one I use is MAC 224)

If you're still not too sure, then the 2 brushes I recommend are the following.

1              2


1: A smaller, flat brush for your all over base colour and outer corners 
2: A blending brush like MAC 224



FINALLY...if you're REALLY, INCREDIBLY unsure and insist on using just one brush, I definitely recommend the MAC 217 brush.

(http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/145/380/Brushes/Eye/217-Blending-Brush/index.tmpl).

I don't own this brush since I already have the 224 blending brush, but the 217 is perfect for eyeshadow application as well as blending.  Click on the link above to see this brush.  It's similar to the 224 in the picture above but it's slightly smaller and harder, making it a great application and blending brush

Once you get comfortable with makeup and start to wear it more often, you can start adding to your collection of brushes.  Makeup is NOT a science, it's an art.  You can use any brush for any type of application if you feel it works better for you.  I often use a lipstick brush to apply my MAC Fluidliner on my eyes.  Play around and you'll see it's really fun and simple!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment